Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Trying Out Celine Dion's French Releases

I found my transcript today and was relieved. I am now more sure about my progress and GPA than before. I was having trouble finding my unofficial transcript because everything was moved from Banner to another application for registration. I found it very confusing. I have been listening to Celine Dion's music in French. She was a superstar in the 1990s that crossed over between singing for French Canadians to Americans in English. My French pronunciation of the songs are much improved after practicing with several and listening to her songs. I can find the lyrics translated into English along with the original French with a quick Google search. Celine Dion has a quality to her music that rivals opera and trained vocalists. It has good sound quality. Lately, I have been enjoying opera by Mozart like Laudate Dominum and Josh Groban's Si Volvieras a Mi, Per Te, and My Confession from his Closer album. I had that album in the 2000s. 

French and Spanish are similar because they book come from Latin. My Spanish is rusty, but it is good enough to enjoy Si Volvieras a Mi, the meaning things usually lost in translation. I particularly like the line at the end that says he would be happy again (seria feliz otra vez) if his love interest comes back to him (si volvieras a mi). I'm pretty nerdy about languages. I can conjugate verbs like a cowboy draws. I'm conjugating so fast when I'm listening to conversations. Spanish is an extremely fast language. It is quickly spoken and yet, it is not too fast. When you learn it, you will realize that it is smart to speak and understand quickly. Natives do not speak Spanish slowly and think you are not normal if you speak slowly as they do in English. So, I remember practicing my speed over the last few years. First, I learn pronunciation and grammar for a sentence I want to use in conversation. Then, I practice it again trying to say it faster so that people take me more seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment