Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Construction Management or Project Management?

If I had known they made their construction management program about project management, I would not have majored in it. It looked like it was for construction management until this semester. It got way harder and became impossible unless you could major in design or something else. I don't like design. So, I wish I knew this earlier. I do not think I am smart enough for another degree. Just this one. You normally do not have to be. I do not plan to graduate now. I do not think I will pass. It is not my fault. I would pass if it was a construction management degree. I could be a general contractor. I think it is about project management at the end though. I did not know. I learned a lot about myself. I am glad for the experience. We will see what happens, but I do not plan to take anything again if I fail this semester. I normally would not fail. I cannot afford to take the whole year again and I should not have to. I do not know what I will do, but this is not the program for me if it rolls a master's degree I do not want into the bachelor's and gives me no credit for it (a master's degree). Construction management is just like general contracting. 

They normally build houses. I think I am smart enough to be a general contractor. They have made this program about project management. That involves design and different engineering. I wish they said that in the beginning. I think I am taking Revit classes contractors do not need or use. That is the architect's job. There are all these classes that are required that are not useful to a construction manager and teachers that were in the wrong program. I did not think surveying or Revit should be required. It sounded like an okay elective. There are so many required courses that are for an architectural, mechanical, or civil engineering program. If you are not licensed to draw, you shouldn't draw. Needing to get a stamp from the architect means they should draw it.

You did not learn to draw like they did. It is more efficient for them to draw it since they have that degree. I was looking for a broad overview of different parts of home construction I could use. I wanted to make sure I had general knowledge about everything I needed to know what I was doing and not get taken advantage of by subcontractors. I learned a lot of people do not know what they are doing in this industry in different classes. They did not do their job right and you need to fix their mistakes. There is a labor shortage in construction. It's too dangerous to not know what you are doing. Maybe, it is too dangerous for me anyway. Maybe it was not going to work out. I planned to build 2 log cabins to rent out and live in and be a landlord. It is dangerous working in construction. 

It was more normal to take carpentry and shop classes to gain experience, learning how to repair A/C and plumbing, and other things we did not do. They do not teach you how to be a construction manager. Like, that can only be learned in the field. I think it is crazy here. No one is going to teach you unless you are in the field, but they could just tell you in a book or course. 

There are so many DIY (do it yourself) books on the market that do that. I think about studying for my general contractor's license on my own, but I do not think it is worth it. This degree was supposed to prepare me to get me the same job before I got my license. Construction managers do the same things as general contractors. I enjoyed studying accounting, physics, microeconomics, contract law and improved in English. I got an OSHA 30 card and a CPR certification. I am glad I went to college. I am not missing out on what I never tried anymore. I think I've had enough. This program is not helping me grow intellectually. This is probably my last semester. 

We will see. I need to pass my classes like I normally would. Although I am older than most people in the program, I was good enough to get this far and do my internship. I really had an interest in construction and could see myself working in the field. It looks like it would not be because of this degree. It has turned out to be good for nothing. However, when I show them what I can do for their company, I could probably get a job without it if it is good for nothing. I need time to think about it. I have been so stressed out lately. I do not like working. I do not like school. So, I'll have to weigh my options. I am into safety and building codes.

I could make sure we pass inspection. I have a checklist I could take around to make sure it's ready for inspection and toolbox talks I could give about what's in the code for the work we're doing each day. It's all no problem for me. I did not think I was going to fail every construction class. I was concerned about physics. I am into contract law and would make sure I signed a good contract that was legally binding and that I got paid. Bottom line, if you know what you are doing you could always have a job building houses. People always need them. If you never learn your trade, then it is no wonder you go out of business. There is an easy way to do everything construction managers do. People with experience could show you what they learned over the years. I hoped that would do that in this program, but it has become about something else.

Otherwise, I am not going to take it all again because it is crazy here. I can't afford it and am tired of taking classes that do not help me get a job. I shouldn't be this concerned that I am going to fail. I have reached my limit. These classes are not as hard as physics, but I am more concerned about failing than I was when I was in that class. They could have made it easy. There is a simple way everything can be done by people with no degree. This program got way too hard for me this semester. I'm about to reach my limit.

I was looking up programs at my college. They have a design program, and they have a construction management one. It is not the same. They are different programs. Architects are not the same as construction managers. I am always hearing that designers and construction managers are the same at this school. I think it is crazy here. They do not work in the field. They do not build anything. They design. When you work on a team, you do not have to do everything. There are designers that do the drawings and different project members that construct the building. Everyone does their part. You do not have to do everything yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment