Wednesday, November 30, 2022

What's Next for Me

Today, I found out I am not passing Cost and Scheduling for sure. That will help me not return next semester. I am not smart enough about her class to pass it. It is not about scheduling. It is about following her instructions exactly and mindreading. (What I think about that: every project is different. What good is following her instructions so close? No one is going to tell you what to do in the real world. So, I will never be good enough, but it does not matter. That is my honest opinion). So, not being smart enough, not having enough money to repeat the class if I probably will still not pass, and the major not being worth much to employers or how I could get a job all give me leverage to leave. It is not my fault. I would pass if it was a construction management major. I think about becoming an apprentice or getting paid training. I could get a job with what I know. I have a good foundation. These classes are more and more a waste of my time. I am not learning anything I could use as a construction manager. I think I have went as far as is useful. They are not going to teach estimating or scheduling if they haven't by the first semester of my senior year. The capstone is for a graduate project management degree. They do not need two classes for estimating if they are willing to teach it. I should not have to figure out on my own what they could share in person. 

I figured some cool stuff out this week. Since many professors say RS Means is not reliable, I thought I should look up local prices for equipment and materials since that is the cheapest way to go. Staying local keeps shipping prices low. Also, the prices are reliable. RS Means is an average at best that normally is only useful for ballpark estimates and ordering out of the local area. Every supplier has a different price that changes with the market. Averages are not reliable for this. So, I thought that was something I could really use. I could really get a good estimate that way. They are never going to teach it in this program. Looking up prices for estimates is like shopping for groceries. You're looking for the best deal. It is not rocket science. It is important you are not crazy enough to see that to be smart in construction management. I am not that smart. Construction management is easy. Unit price contracts do not have accurate estimates. Customers pay for every unit that is actually used. So, you do not know the full cost until the end of construction. Customers need to come prepared with plenty of financial backing to cover expenses.

I do not believe in retainage. This is capitalism. I work when I am paid. That does not sound like a legal contract and may not be valid. I only build what you paid me for. I learn ways to make sure I am paid, how to make out a schedule of values (or bill), and how to write the contract so that I am paid on time. If they don't pay, they can't live in the building. You can put a lien on their mortgage to make sure you get paid. They have all this bad advice they give in class about getting loans for client's buildings. Are you the one working or living there? You don't have to pay for their house! This ain't charity. You gotta be careful because they could never pay you if you do not know what you are doing. From the books I read and professors I had here, there are a lot of people who don't. Architects' estimates are usually not right and their drawings may not be up to code or complete. A lot of construction professionals do not build what they drew. I do not know why they have a job if they never draw things right and cost so much money. It is crazy here. A lot of subcontractors do not know anything about bookkeeping and make bad financial decisions. You need to know how to run your own business in construction. You are working with a lot of money, usually a mortgage, and you could want to keep it organized in an accounting system so that you never become legally liable. You need to know about contracts and laws that protect you. You need to know how to look over you books to make sure no one is stealing your money because it is a lot of money. 

I enjoyed my internship in Colorado. I learned a lot there. I got an American Red Cross CPR certification that is still good. I was good at the class. I was surprised. I could use that in construction. So, I do not know what is next for me. However, I am not passing all of my classes already. I do not think it reflects my intelligence. But, I do know it is crazy here. I do not know what is next for me yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment