Friday, October 7, 2022

I Am Grateful for Everything

There were times at Science and Math when I thought about leaving. I did not know there were that many math geniuses graduating every year from this state. I still am not sure about it because I graduated, and I was not that hard core into math to work for NASA or be a doctor. I was into plant biology. Anyhow, I was allowed to stay and I took creative courses. I took a cool photography class. There were art classes you could take. I took a lot of humanities classes. They had a great music program too. I had a lot of issues back then. I am interested in engineering. I was not sure what I wanted to do back then. I went in a circle--biology, maybe law school, or nothing for a while. I am good at learning laws and think I can use it for building codes in construction. I do solve hard problems. But back then, I was immature. I was not ready enough to enjoy my life or appreciate it fully. I did not realize how good I was about not being mature until years later. I had problems. I did not realize how many doctors graduate every year. There are so many. I thought it was extremely rare to get through such a rigorous program. I guess people at Science and Math are the children of doctors who come to NC from across the country during residency. I would not make it through a medical school program. It is too intense. I just want to get to the point where I stop doing what I am not good at. I hope I will one day in construction. 

I am into OSHA compliance and checking to make sure things are built right. I can look over every step of construction to make sure things are installed according to the plans. It seems like most people do not want that job. I do codes. I can look up the codes for OSHA, the state, and the city for each project and tell the workers coming in what has to be done to pass inspection for the work scheduled. It is normally something simple like two nails every 16" on center. I do not know them all, but can reference them. They change every year it seems like. I am good at remembering pictures like the symbols in plans. I look over them see a picture of how they want things built. I have not applied for any jobs, but I heard I was not qualified for a construction management position without a bachelor's degree. I do not plan to do any as-built drawings since they need to be stamped by the architect. I think they should do the drawings. I do not have their degree. It took them more than 5 years to get it. I can just tell the architect how it was built and give them photos to make sure they are approved and avoid liability for not doing the drawings right because I didn't get an architectural or different engineering degree. 

It is important for me to work outside and avoid sitting at a computer. I wear blue-light glasses and am near sighted because I used computers so long without wearing them. My vision has not changed since I started wearing them when I use devices. Eye strain from computers can lead to vision loss. 

I like accounting. I was pretty good at solving problems at Pitt Community College. For most of my year in accounting there, I had a great tutor. However, near the end of my Accounting II class, I did not need her help as much. I was figuring things out on my own. It involves the simplest math: adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. You just have to know when to add, subtract, etc. I spent a long time figuring that out. I had a great professor. Accounting is simple. There were many people who worked with me. There was something easy about every math class. I had to see what was easy about it and make it easy for myself when it was not. I have come a long way. I am grateful for the chance to go to college. Many people have helped me get this far. I am still using my Pell Grant for my first bachelor's degree. I do not have any debt yet. It has been a miracle. I think one day I may get a job I really enjoy instead of one that just pays bills. I thought I would never find it, but I enjoy construction management. I got the opportunity to do an internship working for a nonprofit in Colorado. That was my dream since deciding to study construction management. I wanted to give back by helping build a house for Habitat for Humanity because I am christian. They build houses for low-income families. A lot of good things have been happening. I am grateful for every opportunity. 

I am terrible with getting jobs and thought I could not fulfill the graduation requirement to do an internship, but Habitat for Humanity was perfect for me. They paid for me to live in Colorado over the summer of 2021, and I got experience as a volunteer. Not being paid was perfect because I had so little experience. It worked out great. I learned quickly in the field and had plenty of chances to get things wrong and right. I was much better after 2.5 months. I think working for 2 years should give me enough experience to go for a general contractor's license. That is my dream. I want to be a general contractor one day. I need to figure out where I am going to live and work. Then, I will study the codes for that area. Construction managers and general contractors basically do the same job, but general contractors get paid more for being licensed. If you can do construction management, you have achieved so much. They have to be good at a little of everything. That is good enough for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment